As many packaging engineers and operators are new to this field, we have developed this page to share information about ASTM and other package testing standards.
The scope of ASTM standards is the promotion of knowledge in, and the development of standards for packaging. Standards shall include terminology, practices, test methods, specifications, guides, and classifications (including dimensions).
This work specifically includes:
1) defining materials and processes that consider both item and consumer impact; the result being a package and packaged product that are acceptable for delivery,
2) generating closely related shipping systems design criteria,
3) developing materials handling standards related to distribution, including measurement of the packaging environment,
4) assessing the suitability of packaging related standards through round-robin laboratory evaluations, quantitative testing and instrumentation applications, and,
5) establishing standards on reuse, recycling and disposal of materials related to packaging.
Efforts involving tests on materials where basic research is addressed within other committees shall be closely coordinated with those relevant ASTM committees. In the process of standards development, recognition shall be made of related national and international standards with the encouragement of full participation in those activities.
D3078-02 – Standard Test Method for Determination of Leaks in Flexible Packaging by Bubble Emission
D4991-94 – Standard Test Method for Leakage Testing of Empty Rigid Containers by Vacuum Method
D6653-01 – Standard Test Methods for Determining the Effects of High Altitude on Packaging Systems by Vacuum Method
F1140-07 – Standard Test Methods for Internal Pressurization Failure of Unrestrained Packages
F1886-98 – Standard Test Method for Determining Integrity of Seals for Medical Packaging by Visual Inspection
F1929-98 – Standard Test Method for Detecting Seal Leaks in Porous Medical Packaging by Dye Penetration
F1980-07 – Standard Guide for Accelerated Aging of Sterile Barrier Systems for Medical Devices
F2029-00 – Standard Practices for Making Heatseals for Determination of Heatsealability of Flexible Webs as Measured by Seal Strength
F2054-07 – Standard Test Method for Burst Testing of Flexible Package Seals Using Internal Air Pressurization Within Restraining Plates
F2096-04 – Standard Test Method for Detecting Gross Leaks in Medical Packaging by Internal Pressurization (Bubble Test)
F2097-07 – Standard Guide for Design and Evaluation of Primary Flexible Packaging for Medical Products
F2559-06 – Standard Guide for Writing a Specification for Sterilizable Peel Pouches
F88-07 – Standard Test Method for Seal Strength of Flexible Materials
For more information on the above referenced package integrity testing standards please visit http://www.astm.org.